Friday, December 3, 2010

Viva Mexico

I just got back from a wonderful family vacation down to Huatulco, Mexico. It is the first time I have really been back to the country since I lived there for 6 months in 2002. And what a great trip! It was nice to spend some time with my husband's family and my nephew (a year and a half old!).
The trip was made even more fun because we bought a new underwater camera and took hundreds of funny pictures underwater. I won't embarrass any family members by posting pictures of them on the blog, but I'll share a few of my own.
We did lots of snorkelling too, and saw many amazing fish. A moment of panic came when I realized I was floating a few feet over a stingray and the waves were pushing me towards it. I quickly flashed a picture and then went into full panic mode, kicking and thrashing to get away. Have you ever heard anyone scream through a snorkel before? Sadly, the picture did not turn.
But I did get an awesome picture of a rare species of puffer fish, fully inflated, floating at the surface. Oh wait, the snorkel renter guy just picked it out of the water and threw it on the beach. Turns out, it was just an orange without its peel. Those other tourists laughed pretty hard at me and my picture.
My highlights were definitely snorkelling at the coral reef and swimming in and out of that cave. And our various trips into town. And playing games with the family.
And the frozen North was not quite so cold when I got home. And it is good to be home. (Especially now that our heat is working!)
I know, this is pretty hot. Whenever I smiled, water would leak into my mask.
artsy
yikes
double yikes
The church in town
The mysterious puffer fish
creepy
aww, my nephew
iguana
peace
funny
School of fish!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...