Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sewing! 1950s Inspired Dress



I actually started this dress back in October, but then got tired and left it unfinished until today. All I had left to do was finished the waistband, sew on some straps, and hem it.
Sorry, I am a bit of a goofball.



This is how my ideas start- I sketch my idea, find fabric swatches (I buy almost all my fabric and notions from thrift stores) and then do measurements. Next comes the patternmaking and sewing.


I made the pattern myself with the help of the most amazing book in the world! "Design-it-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified" by Cal Patch. Try it out if you are interested in designing your own clothes, but don't have any patterns. You won't be sorry!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh- this is adorable and you look so very cute. I am so happy you have the time to make all these projects. I think I would like to commission you to make me a whale cowichan sweater too....what kind of price would you charge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is awesome and as always, I am amazed and inspired by your talents! Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dee!
    Erin- the wool costs about $70 for the sweater, so I would charge about $5000. Just kidding. Since you are my sister, I would just charge you for the wool. I am about to embark on another sweater project now, so it will have to wait until after that. Also, I'd like to find a better pattern for the sweater because I had to do some alterations on mine once it was finished. I will look around.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...