Monday, February 21, 2011

Crafting! What to do with canning jars


Well, besides canning, that is. I have an abundance of canning jars as we bought a bunch to use as cups at our wedding.
Canning Jar Soap Dispenser
I've seen similar ideas to this one around the internet, but I don't remember where. This project probably took me about 10 minutes to do, so simple and fast! I took the pump off my cheap plastic dispenser and cleaned it up. Next, I took a canning jar, lid, and screw top. I drilled as big a hole as I could through the top of the lid, but it wasn't big enough to fit the pump through. So, I snipped some tiny lines radiating out from that hole and bent them inwards. Next, I fitted the pump into the hole (it was a nice tight fit), put the lid on the jar filled with soap and then fitted the screw top around it all. I had to trim a little off the straw to make it fit in the jar, but that was it. Simple and quick! I love the way the glass jar looks in the bathroom. I think an antique canning jar would look even cooler.

The "before shot." I always forget to take one before I get started, so the pump is already fitted into its new lid.
The tools required. If you don't have a drill, you could always use a nail to get a hole started and then snip bigger cuts to bend inwards.

A view of under the lid.
The finished product.
I love how the circle pattern on the lid fits around the pump.
There are so many great projects and crafts to do with canning jars. What are some you have tried or want to try?

4 comments:

  1. Kris, this is a brilliant idea. We love canning jars, not just for jams, but for cold summer drinks and for bunches of flowers. love, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kris, I love these. I did a couple awhile back (our jars are different over here). I painted the outside for a seaglass effect, but didn't seal them. Now I have the proper things, I'll give it another go. I love yours. Thanks for sharing.

    Cheers,
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks awesome, Kris! I've really wanted to do this but I don't have a drill, maybe when we're together next you can help me make some! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth- cold summer drinks sound delicious. I am definitely craving summer right about now.

    Lisa-Thanks! I'd love to see pictures of your finished products.

    Jaimie-I love you too! We'll make some whenever you want, or you can just use a nail. You really don't need a drill.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...