Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Battle Mountain/Fight Lake



I was looking back through some old pictures and I came across the pictures of the backpacking trip my husband and I took through Wells Gray Park a couple years ago. This place is so beautiful that I wanted to share it with you.
We spent a weekend, hiking to Fight Lake and then we made a day trip to climb up Battle Mountain. It was cold up there! We made the trip at the beginning of August and there was snow at the top.


Here I am at the beginning, getting the trail information. Looking fresh and ready for adventure. I really didn't look like that just a few hours later, into our long hike.

The land was like a fairyland. It seemed so untouched. I think we saw one other person on horseback in the distance the whole trip.
It used to be perma-frost up there, once upon a time. But now there is a few inches of water on the ground in most places. That meant a LOT of mosquitoes.
Wild lupines. The wildflowers were stunning.
That little bump is our tent. This is where we camped for the weekend. If you have been reading my blog for awhile, you might already know that I am terrified of bears. I couldn't sleep the first night for fear of them. We had no bear spray, axe, gun, etc.. that would protect us from a bear attack and all I could think about was that bears could smell food from 17km away. My only hope was too tame a bear with my animal whispering skills, if it decided it liked our tent.
It is scary to think that if something happened, we were a days hike from any roads.
Oh ya, I'm a wizard.

Wildflower meadow. It makes me want to wear an old fashioned dress and spin around in it with my hair down.
On the hike up Battle mountain. There were alpine streams and flowers. It was so magical.

While we were on top of the mountain, a thunder and hail storm came up. I really don't like being on a mountain peak in a lightning storm. We got down in a hurry after taking a few pictures.

It was so cold, the hail didn't melt for days!
My choice of footwear, I didn't bring anything else. I love sandals and I hate hiking boots and socks, so there. Actually, I am glad I wore those sandals, as my shoes would have been soaked as the ground was a giant sponge soaked in water.
Battle mountain from our campsite.

What a beautiful land we live in! I hope you enjoyed these photos.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kris, what a fantastic trip, and the flowers...just too lovely! jennyx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, that is SOOOOO beautiful. i've always wanted to move out of texas, somewhere with mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was very beautiful. It felt so untouched and wild.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you wore sandals!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...