Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Our Couch

When we got married, almost four years ago, we bought a couch and chair from Value Village. I love this couch. It is antique-style and long enough to seat four at once. It's seen a lot wear through the years, and a lot of happy times. I can only imagine what it went through before it found a home with us.


Here it is when we first got it, a bit worn, but much fresher than it looks now.
Here is the chair and my nephew when I got to meet him for the first time.
And the kittens we fostered just loved the couch and chair.
Cuties! They found a little hole under the couch and used to sleep in there.
It sure has seen a lot of traffic and that traffic has taken a toll. Our couch and chair are beyond cleaning. I think it is time for reupholstering.
Unfortunately, professional reupholstery is way too expensive so I think I might try to do it myself. There are lots of books from the library that I am going to check out. My sister told me about a great idea of using painting canvas drop clothes to reupholster with, as they are inexpensive and look very cool. I might try this idea. I could dye the fabric or leave it natural. If I left it natural, I was thinking it could be cool to do the buttons and piping in a coloured quilting fabric. What do you think? Have you ever had any experience in upholstery? My couch is quite complicated, but I have been studying it for some time, and I think it might be do-able.
(The colour would be different, but I don't have a good "natural linen" coloured pencil crayon.)



This post is linked to A Beach Cottage!

4 comments:

  1. Welllll.....my mom reupholstered our couch a couple years ago. She bought the fabric and then used a staple gun to attach it to the frame....then she sewed the couch cushion covers. its actually held up quit well for being stapled lol. but ours was a pretty basic frame it may not work on yours....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kris! I think the different coloured piping and buttons would look awesome and would definitely suit you! Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh... kittens... so CUTE!!! wow. Great idea! I love the couch too, very classy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Thos kitties were adorable! too much cuteness for one house!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...