Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Crafting!: DIY light switch covers

Some light switch plates can be pretty darn ugly. I love making light switch covers to cover up that ugliness and to add a splash of colour to a room. The following is a tutorial so you too can make your own light switch covers.
DISCLAIMER: I am not an electrician and I cannot guarantee that this is not a fire hazard. I have been making these for over a decade and haven't ever had a fire or anything, so do this at your own risk!
Step One: Use a screw driver to remove the light switch plate.

Step Two: Find a lovely design to make your plate cover. I printed out some pages from Cath Kidston's Computer Wallpaper designs for my most recent covers. I have also used old maps and botanical pictures that I printed out.

Step Three: Cut out a rectangle slightly larger than the plate from your paper design.

Step Four: Using clear tape, tape the paper design onto the switch plate, folding in the corners like you would when wrapping a present.

Step Five: Hold the plate up to the light and use an exacto blade to cut an "X" in the hole where the switch will go. Turn the plate over and fold the flaps to the back of the plate, taping them down.


Step Six: Cover the plate in a clear medium to protect the paper. Something like "modge podge" would work well. You might want to do extra coats if the switch cover is in the kitchen or bathroom where you might have wet hands when you flip the switch. (Note: I found that the ink from my printer would run a bit at this stage, so I sprayed the paper with a bit of shellac before I cut out the pieces.) Allow the cover to dry.

Step Seven: Use an exacto blade to make holes where the screws will go. Use a screw driver to put the plate back on again.
Ta Da! Looks fantastic and it is pretty darn easy!












This blog post is linked to A Beach Cottage: Blog Party!
”Beach

2 comments:

  1. Now that is cute! Thanks for sharing and thanks for adding your link to Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tried this idea myself. But I love the leaf idea. That really adds a new element to the room. What a fantastic idea.

    http://livingcheapandhappy.blogspot.com/2011/04/light-switch-face-plates.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...