Saturday, April 16, 2011

Crafting! What to do with your Olive Oil Cans

This is an idea that I saw somewhere and wanted to try it out for myself. I love the look and design of my olive oil cans and hate to throw them out when they're empty. So, I decided to turn one into a planter for the kitchen. It was pretty easy and took only a few minutes to complete.
Step One: I took a can opener and took the top off the can. I washed and dried the can really well to get rid of any oily residue.
Step Two: I didn't want to fill up the entire can with dirt and gravel, because I didn't want the plant to get waterlogged and it would be really heavy. So, I found a plastic cup and turned it upside down on the bottom of the can.
Next, I turned the top of the can upside down and placed it on top of the cup, creating a platform for the soil to be packed on, allowing drainage around the sides and through the spout.
Step Three: Finally, I filled the can with potting soil and planted one of my seedlings. I think I may eventually plant nasturtiums in this can. We'll see how it goes.




I also made a few new soap dispensers today - One to hold our dish soap another one for hand soap for our ensuite.
Look! The snow is almost gone in our backyard! Yipee!
You can find the tutorial for these soap dispensers here.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I think I will make this my Sunday craft!Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I looked at the first photo I thought you had made an art piece(watering can or a tea pot) with the bananas as the tail(handle)and the rooster as the spout! Great photo! Was it intentional? This is a great idea for olive oil so any other creative ideas for using them would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, I see what you mean about the top photo! It was unintentional. hehe. I'll have to come up with some other idea. A watering can is actually a good idea, since I really need one. I wonder how I could make one with a can?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...