Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy Aboriginal Day!

I think we should push to make it a National holiday. Honestly, if we are going to celebrate some long-dead queen's birthday every May, we could take a day to acknowledge and appreciate the original inhabitants of this land. Plus it would make a nice long weekend in June too.
Anyway, there are going to be fireworks tonight, and I am very excited about that!
This is the set up for the fireworks. I have never seen it up close before. Whoo hoo! But it won't start until 11pm, because it doesn't get dark until then and this is the longest day of the year.
Another cool thing about this town, is that they have old time tent revival meetings in old circus tents.
How cool does that look? I feel like I'm back in the early 1900's.

This is a rocking chair that I scored at a garage sale across the street. It was significantly less than the other rocking chair that I had to drive all the way to Prince George for, and it is a better rocker too. Oh well. It's nice to have them both now and I can just picture being curled up next to the fireplace and knitting in one, come winter.
I also got 4 cafe style chairs for free. They need to be recovered and I've got some great ideas in mind. I'll post before and after shots when I get around to it. I also bought a circular saw at my co-worker's garage sale and put it to good use on Sunday. My husband and I built this composter out of old fence posts and chicken wire. Soon to come: raised strawberry beds.
I finally found a way to stop the mosquitoes from waking me up at 4:30am. Why do they always find me at 4:30? Why not sooner or later? There must be something magical about that hour...
Have you read any good books lately? I just finished reading "The Blue Castle" by L.M.Montgomery. It is so very satisfying when poor little doormat Valancy decides to say and do exactly what she wants, instead of being ruled by her relatives. I highly recommend it. (It is also the only book that Lucy Maude wrote that isn't based at all in P.E.I., but takes place in Ontario instead.)

2 comments:

  1. Great idea that compost very green and very simple. I actually have an old bucket that I put in the back of the house to catch water for my plants.Anyway I can add to preserving the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, Comeca! We are thinking of getting some rain barrels here, once we get our downspouts fixed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...