Sunday, July 3, 2011

Animals


Well, my weekend started with a rainy Canada Day that was chalk full of events. We watched the parade, I painted faces in the park while bands played, there was a helicopter drop, events at the Historic Park and late night fireworks watched from inside cars in the pouring rain.
Here is one of the cute lambs at the Historic Park. This one is still too shy to visit with people.
It was time to give my barred rock rooster to a new home. I was a little sad to see him go. While I was trying to catch him in the coop, both chickens escaped in to my unfenced backyard. It took a lot of darting and lunging, before I finally cornered and caught them.

I took the barred rock rooster to the same place I dropped off Velociraptor and the dumb chicken. Here is Velociraptor looking as dapper as ever. He rules over 27 chicks in his new home -a mix of meat birds and laying hens. He tries to give the meat birds a bit of exercise. Velociraptor looked so small and trim compared to my other rooster. That is his leghorn style, I guess.
Here is the dumb chicken. She is Queen Bee of the little chicks. When I dropped the rooster off, some scraps took place between him, the dumb chicken, and Velociraptor. It's tough to say who would win. I hope they eventually settle down to life together.
On the way back, we stopped to take pictures of a moose. She has her tongue sticking out at us. Click on the picture to see it larger.
My husband decided to get a fish when we were in Prince George yesterday. He plans on bringing it to his office. It has no name yet, but there are a few in the running. This fish is quite active for a Betta. He swims around his tank all day.
He has beautiful red fins and a bluish body that shines in the right light. He is the first fish my husband has ever had.
I moved the little chicks outside permanently now. Last night was their first full night out there. The remaining hen/pullet has been unsure of how to receive these little invaders. She chases them around a bit and nips at them, but also ignores them. The chicks are quick to avoid her when she gets nasty and jump up on the box, or hide behind the division I made them in the coop. When I checked on them last night, the pullet was roosting on a bar in the coop and the little ones were merrily puttering about on their side under the heat lamp. It's an uneasy truce.
I love how they look like little round balls with a head and legs. When I first brought them outside, one of them stepped right off the edge, expecting to walk on the air or something. It was hilarious to watch. He was ok, just a little shocked.
The older chicken lurks below. She is not shy to claim her territory. The little chicks mastered the ramp right away. Not like the dumb chicken I gave away.
The older pullet is twice the size of the little chicks. I think they will catch up soon though, so she better watch how she treats them!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! so many animals!! I love the moose- I have always wanted to see one in the wild!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moose are pretty scary when you're driving. We've had a couple near misses since we lived here. They are such huge animals!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...