Friday, August 19, 2011

Gathering


This picture is a dream come true for me. For sometime I have dreamed of having my own chickens with sunflowers growing around the coop. Maybe that was a very specific dream, but there it is. Two of the sunflowers have finally bloomed and it fills me up with smiles.
Lately I have been in to gathering what the land is happy to provide. This is a nice alternative since my garden has been a dismal failure this year.
The other night, I rode my bike down the back roads and filled my basket chalk full of goldenrod.
Boos loved to examine the flowers, along with all the insect hitchhikers!

Next, I filled my dye pot with the flowers, covered them with water and simmered them for an hour. I then let it cool completely over night. The good people over at Joybilee Farm are always so helpful and I think they know pretty much everything! They helped me out with the instructions for making this dye.
In the morning, I added a Tbsp of washing soda, squeezed out and removed the flowers, and then simmered it until it was reduced by half.
It is so concentrated and a nice bright colour. I then put the dye in freezer bags and froze it, so it can be used later in my ultimate made-from-scratch project. Do you want to know what that is? I plan on harvesting wool from my very own fibre bunnies, spin it, dye it, and knit it into something wonderful! Stay tuned for more on this project!

The berries are finally ripe in the Fort, and I picked a bunch of Saskatoons and wild raspberries. My boss brought me some huckleberries to try and I just loved them! I mixed them all together and made a wonderful Wild Berry Crisp. Delicious!
What sort of berries or plants have you been gathering in your area lately?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristy,
    I haven't done a whole lot, but what I have done excites me! I picked apricots off the tree and then made a delicious apricot crisp! We've harvested lots of raspberries and soon our super sweet corn will be ready to be picked. Better late than never, right? I also had a sunflower pop up this year that must have been a leftover from last year. It bloomed last week so I have been admiring it out my kitchen window.

    I can't wait to see your bunnies and see you fulfill another dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, apricots and raspberries! AND corn! You would have a hard time growing corn up here. I miss the long growing season... Aren't sunflowers so lovely? I love looking at them.
    Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...