Tuesday, September 27, 2011

So, I was just at the District Office, paying my utilities, when it slipped out that I had chickens. "In town?" they asked. "Yes..."I squeaked out. "How many?" they asked. "Three..." I said with a gulp. "Oh, that's fine. You can have up to eight!" Phew, what a relief, I kinda thought my chickens were illegal. But that makes me feel a whole lot better.
I walked home from the district office feeling elated, and thought I should go check in with my not-so-rebellious chickens. But they were all hanging out in the coop. Hmmm, that's odd. They never go up there except at night. I lured them back down and sort of peeked through their door. Nothing unusual, but I thought I better go around the back and stir around their wood shavings, freshen it up a bit. And there, sitting in a little round spot on the floor of the coop, was a perfect, speckled, little brown egg!!!!!!!
THEY DID IT!!!! WHOOO HOOO!!! My very first EGG! I'm pretty sure it was Betty Bloomer, she's the oldest by a month. I congratulated her heartily, took the egg and skipped giddily around and then proceeded to call my husband and my parents. Then I did a photo shoot with my first egg. I must say, it was very photogenic!
I'm not sure what I plan to do with this egg. Should I save the shell and mount it? How should I eat it? Oooh, I am still giddy about it! I raised protein in my backyard! One thing is for sure, I am going to eat it with the vegetables I grew myself, and drink it down with my fresh homemade apple juice from the apples in my yard. Ahhh, a sigh of satisfaction.
Perfection!
I'm so proud of you, Betty Bloomer!
On another note, I wonder what the other two chickens were thinking when Betty laid that egg. They were crowded around her inside the coop. "Oh man, I think Betty's lost it!" "Someone call a doctor, Betty's losing her insides!" "What the *beep* is that Betty?!" "I hope that's not contagious!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...