Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Tragedy

It is with a very sad heart that I tell you about the tragic passing of Georgia Girl, my little pullet that I raised from egg. She met with a horrific death yesterday when the neighbour's dog snatched her from under the fence and ate her. It was so sad. I feel like I failed her. The chickens are no longer safe to roam the yard and will be confined to their run, until I either block off the bottom of the fence, or create another fenced off run for them.
The neighbour felt so bad, but it isn't his fault and it isn't the dog's either. It's pure instinct and the pup was proud of his catch, he kept bringing her in his mouth to show me. (It was pretty horrible).
So now the chicken coop is down to 2, which the girls may enjoy come Winter, but they are sad to lose a friend and comrade. Poor little Georgie.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, Kris, that's so sad:( I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that. I enjoy reading about your chicken adventures! I can't get any right now because of my own dog (we tried once!) so I have to live vicariously through your own experiences with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the condolences. Yes, dogs and chickens don't seem to jive too well.Oh well. I read your story about your dog with the borrowed chicken. Smart hen to escape. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...