Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Aunt Beth's Recipe Book


A couple years ago while pawing through my parents' old photo albums, I discovered an old scrapbook/recipe book dating from 1915. We soon determined that it belonged to my mom's Aunt Beth. Aunt Beth and her husband were friends and mentors of my grandparents. My mother fondly remembers that Aunt Beth had blue hair.
This book is a treasure to me. It is so neat to be able to see these recipes that Aunt Beth has stored up from 1915 through to the 1960s. There are newspaper clippings, pictures, and old advertisements pasted throughout. Dandelion wine, hand lotion, and cucumber relish are some of the recipes that I would love to try making sometime.







But for today, I decided I would stick to something a little more simple. I made one of the recipes for shortbread that I found in the book. Just three ingredients. But what I have found with many of the recipes printed in this book is that there are few instructions and rarely is there an oven temperature for baking. So I gave it a whirl at 350F and ended up baking it for a shorter time. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, although it made tons! And since my husband is not a fan of shortbread... Well, I may end up freezing some or something!
Short Bread
1lb butter
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
cream well
4to 5 cups of flour, add gradually,
roll out about 1/4 in. thick, cover with sugar, cut in squares, bake 30 minutes.


Yummy! I wonder what I will try next?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...