Monday, March 26, 2012

Puttering

With warm March days comes the urge for me to putter outside. There isn't a whole lot to do with almost 2 feet of snow still covering most surfaces, but it feels so good to be out in shirtsleeves, soaking up the sun and warmth and dreaming about the garden to come in a few months.
Outside this weekend, we installed some rain barrels to save our foundation and to water our gardens if we even need to this summer! I also built a greenhouse frame to rest against the house where we will grow tomatoes this summer. Being the North, you need a bit extra heat and protection in order to grow ripe tomatoes outside. Without the frame, we got a few ripe tomatoes last year, but I am hoping to get a lot more this year.

It is amazing the difference in heat this makes! Just sticking my hand behind this frame you can feel the difference!

While out puttering, I saw my first ladybug of the season!

Tulips and daffodils are pushing their way up through the ground. How exciting!

The chickens are really looking forward to no snow! I am going to build them a movable run so they can have access to different parts of the yard.
Sawyer, the neighbour's dog will miss the snow. Everyday I play fetch with him using snowballs. He leaps all over his yard and pounces on the snowball like a cat. He is also not very coordinated and wipes out sometimes. Hahaha.
I am debating whether or not to remove this wasp nest. It is BIG and quite pretty. It has lots of turquoise colour throughout it. We didn't notice any wasps bothering us last year, so I really don't want to destroy them when they are not a threat...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...