Thursday, May 10, 2012

Frozen Yogurt From Scratch

I was flipping through my "Country Wisdom & Know-How" book (by the editors of Storey Books) and decided it was high time I make some yogurt again. I made yogurt once, a few years back and incubated the yogurt in my stove with the light. But since the light is burnt out in my stove here, I decided to try a different method. I used my crockpot, heated it on low for 15 minutes, shut it off, placed the jars of future yogurt inside and covered it up, repeating the heating and shutting off process every 40 min. I think I prefer the oven method. A little less labour intensive.
Anyways, after 3 hours, I was disappointed to see that the yogurt had not really thickened up. I wonder if the crockpot was too hot? I left them in there uncovered and unheated for awhile longer though, and we had success!

Now for the next stage. I found a recipe for making frozen yogurt in the Country Wisdom book and wanted to give it a shot. Here is the recipe:
Frozen Yogurt
2 cups of yogurt (plain or flavoured)
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 egg, beaten (optional) (I didn't use this option as I am pregnant)
Flavouring: 1/2 cup chopped fruit, drained (You can use all sorts of different flavourings! Chocolate sauce, jams, nuts, coffee, juice concentrate. Experiment!)

1. Drain the yogurt for 30 min before starting to get a thicker consistency. You can also beat in the egg to thicken it up.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor (or use rotary beaters) and mix until smooth. Poor into a container and freeze for 30 min.
3. Remove from freezer and beat again until smooth and return to freezer for 1 hour or until frozen. (If you have an ice cream maker, you can skip the freezer and just make it in that!)

I had to freeze mine overnight until it was frozen enough, an hour just didn't cut it!

Here is the yogurt draining through a towel to get a thicker consistency. I just let it drip into a bowl for 30 min. You want to make sure you have about 2 cups of yogurt after the draining process is finished.

 All mixed up with chopped up strawberries and frozen to perfection!

I tasted my first bowl of it this morning. A lovely mid-morning snack, hahaha. Delicious! The yogurt has such a nice tang to it!

A little hummingbird took a rest to watch me through the kitchen window make the frozen yogurt last night.


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...