Saturday, June 9, 2012

Gardens

"...This is just the kind of evening I love to work in the garden. Things are growing tonight. I hope there'll be gardens in heaven, Susan...gardens we can work in, I mean, and help things to grow."
"But not bugs surely," protested Susan.
"No-o-o, I suppose not. But a completed garden wouldn't really be any fun, Susan. You have to work in a garden yourself or you miss its meaning. I want to weed and dig and transplant and change and plan and prune. And I want the flowers I love in heaven...I'd rather my own pansies than the asphodel, Susan."
                                       ~ Anne of Ingleside, by Lucy Maude Montgomery



I have to agree whole heartedly with Anne in that quote (let's be honest, I agree with Anne in just about everything). I love working in my garden. I love planning and planting and weeding and toiling. I love the quiet time where I can think as my hands do the work. I love planting seeds and nurturing them and watching them grow into beautiful plants.
In the Fall, I wasn't sure whether I'd still be able to work in the garden at this late stage in pregnancy, but I can still manage to sit and weed the garden. I am mainly focused on the chicken coop garden this year and my husband is taking over the vegetable garden.
I spent many enjoyable hours weeding my garden this afternoon in the warm sun with my big hat on and my hands in the dirt. I think it will be a fantastic garden this year, full of edibles and decoratives.
The garden includes:
*a border of lettuces and kale
*marigold
*calendula
*spearmint
*lemon balm
*lavender
*oregano
*thyme
*chamomile
*brown eyed susans
*sunflowers
*sugar snap peas
*scarlet runner beans
Soon the garden will be bursting with flowers and food, like last year. I can hardly wait!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kris thanks for your comment on my blog. Enjoy the garden now because when the baby comes you won't have much time. I used a snugli to carry my babies around with me. It leaves my hands free so I could do things and they slept, snuggled close too me. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...