Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Dwindling Autumn

Whooo! Sorry, I've been absent for awhile! We have had a whirlwind of visits and travelling and it has all been so much fun and so busy that I've barely had time to write here. But I think things are settling down now, and we plan to hunker down for the Winter with no more trips planned until Spring.

Speaking of Winter, it sure is getting close to that season. Our Autumn felt longer this year than in the past, and we've had such a beautiful Summer, that I don't dread the first snowfall. It was awfully cold here this morning and I saw a couple flakes come down in the afternoon, but we have yet to wake up to that first blanket of snow. The light seems to be different on those mornings, you can tell something is has changed. Tip-toeing across the chill bedroom floor with sleepy eyes to pull back the curtains revealing a transformed landscape, Winter arrives in that instant.
But not yet. For now, we will enjoy the fallen leaves and the frosty mornings, and the smell of woodsmoke in the air. And Halloween is fast approaching! But I am finding it hard not to start planning Christmas! This is the first year that I will be alone with my new little family for Christmas and I am looking forward to establishing some new traditions. I've already snuck in a Christmas craft, making a stocking for my little son.
I quilted the stocking and made a burlap cuff.
 I embroidered his name with red thread.
My mother made us beautiful stockings when we were kids that she sewed and embroidered herself. Those stockings are so special and I wanted my son to have something special as well. What sorts of things did you get in your stockings? My husband always got a jar of olives, which he would promptly eat. He loves olives! I always got a mandarin orange in the toe of my stocking. I never liked oranges and one year I forgot and left mine in the stocking. The next year when we pulled out the Christmas decorations, we discovered a dried and preserved orange! Hahaha.
Well, that is all for now! Enjoy your Autumn and embrace the coming Winter (I try very hard to do this, especially since we have snow for 6 months of the year!).

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kris, what a beautiful stocking! You are so clever. I am very bad at sewing - I would love to learn properly one day. Great mandarin story. Christmas traditions are the best :) One day your boy will have his own little story to tell. I think that's lovely.

    Abbey

    Little Purple Forest

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...