Sunday, February 3, 2013

Crafting! Making A Storage Wreath

I had a serious problem in my cupboards. My canning jars, rings and lids were spread from one shelf to the next over at least 3 cupboards and two drawers. Jars can be lined up nicely on a shelf, lids can be stacked, but those rings! They don't stack, they spread themselves all over the kitchen! Time to find a solution to keep my cupboards from being overrun! I've seen some beautiful rusty canning ring wreaths, but I decided I would do a practical version.
 I took some wire and bent it into a circle. I then took another piece of wire and started to wrap it around the first, making hooks on the inside of the circle every two inches or so to keep the rings in place.
I made a hook and loop at the end, so that I can easily open and close my wreath, taking off rings and adding them as needed.

I added a bow and a ribbon to hang it from the top of the cupboard. And that is it! We'll see how it works. I think I like the way it looks. Time will tell. I wish I had had some burlap to do a bow!


 Now I just have to find something crafty to do with all those used lids...


10 comments:

  1. Aren't you a smart cookie! I like your idea, very good and I love the ribbon too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the ribbon at a thrift store -it is highly starched fabric, supposed to be used for something else, but I'm not sure what. This is the first time I've used. I've got 4 other rolls in different prints too.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That is the coolest storage idea I have ever seen. What kind of wire did you use? Are they coat hangers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't use coat hangers, just because I didn't have any metal ones (also I think they would be harder to bend to do the hooks. I just used a roll of wire that I got at the hardware store to use on my chicken coop.

      Delete
  3. Great idea!I love that planter below too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That is my favourite planter. My husband and I don't normally get each other gifts, but that is one he got me years ago and I still love it!

      Delete
  4. I love your canning ring wreath! Those rings do have a mind of their own!
    As for the used lids, ornaments come to mind. Cut circles from old Christmas or other holiday cards or used wrapping paper. Even plain paper with a rubber stamped design on each side. Glue string or ribbon around the edge to form a loop at the top for hanging. Lots of possibilities along these lines!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have canning lids all over the place, that is the BEST idea!
    As for the inserts, my little lady is about two months older than your little man and she loves playing with lids like that at ECFE class. She bangs them together, and puts them in a box and takes them out. They also have an easel covered with clear contact paper with the sticky side out and she likes just stickin' them on there.
    Love your blog! I found you through a mention on ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess! Thanks for stopping by!
      That's a good idea for the lids. I'll have to do some of that with Kesten. I've also considered using them like shingles on a bird house or something like that...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...