Saturday, February 2, 2013

Winter Foraging and Rose Hip Jelly

On this warm Groundhog Day, we headed into the woods as a family to do some Winter foraging. Rose hips were the target and I collect nearly 4 litres worth.
 On the way I took photos of the flora.
 Tall old cottonwood tree.
 A very large print on a snowy backroad.  Dog? Wolf? Wolverine?
 Whatever it was, I think it was chasing this guy. Moose? Elk?
 Once home, I sorted through my rose hips, pulling off the ends. I then boiled them in water for an hour. I used this recipe.
 I then mashed the rose hips to a pulp and strained out the juices. I needed 3 cups of liquid to make the jelly.
 Next I added half a cup of lemon juice and a package of pectin. I brought it to a boil and then added 3 and a half cups of sugar. Once the sugar was dissolved, I added a quarter teaspoon of butter (that keeps the foaming down). I let it boil in a hard boil for 1 minute and then took it off the heat.
 I ladled it into sterilized jars and then I processed them in a canner for 10 min.
 I got 5 jars out of the recipe and a little left over to sample right away. It is delicious!
 I love that even though it is the dead of Winter in this Northern town, there are still sources of food available that can be foraged if you know where to look. Rose hips are packed full of vitamin C and the jelly should taste great in the  months to come.
(Oh, and this is progress on my goals for 2013 #3!)

9 comments:

  1. So cool, Kris! I wonder how many I would get off our wild rose bushes. Are they the right kind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are! You need about 8 cups for the recipe. I'd like to try making the jam too, but I think I would need firmer rose hips to do that, since you need to cut out all the seeds.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That is so neat! I have a bunch of wild rose bushes in our yard. Maybe I should try too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had rosehip jelly in years, I bet yours is very yummy. Yes, how fortunate to be able to go out into the bush and find so many of them! Love the nature photos and the footprints, very cool! Congrats on the jam success

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've never tried it before, but I have been meaning for years to do something with rose hips (besides just snacking on them straight of the bush).

      Delete
  4. oops, I meant to say "jelly" (sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cool! I cant wait to try this out- I love the moss on that tree too- it looks like seaweed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like seaweed! It makes me want to eat it! haha

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...