Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Crafting!: Beeswax Food Savers

Lately I saw an ad for Bees Wrap, and thought, "Hey, I could make this stuff!" After doing some research online, I set out to make my own re-usable food wrap.

First, I cut out some different sized squares out of cotton and linen. I made some big enough to fit over bowls and some smaller that would make good snack-sized containers.

 Next, I placed some parchment paper on cookie sheets and grated beeswax on top.

 I sprinkled the beeswax around as evenly as I could. It was a bit of a guessing game to figure out how much was enough. The red gingham square on the left I found had the right amount. The two on the right ended up having to go back in the oven with more beeswax.
Put the squares in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes, until all the wax has melted. Then take them out. I read that you should hang them up to dry right away, so I tried that with some and with others I left them to dry on the pan. I didn't notice too much of a difference.

The linen I found needed a lot more beeswax to saturate it. Can you see the spots in this picture that didn't get covered in wax? I added more wax shavings to it and popped it back in the oven until it was all melted.
The finished wax squares have such a great texture and are so malleable. You can scrunch them right up in a ball and then straighten them back out again. 


For finishing touches, I trimmed the edges with pinking shears and added some buttons and string to some of the smaller squares, so that they close up like pouches.



 To wash them, use cold water and then hang to dry.
They are really fun to use and I hope they will help us cut down out our saran wrap use (not that we use much anyway).





5 comments:

  1. Such a great idea!
    I saw that add too, and thought it sounded so convenient.
    This is going on the to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so quick, too. I did most of them while my baby napped.

      Delete
  2. They are fabulous! And so pretty too! Thank you for sharing them

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! What an awesome idea- thanks for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...