Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Garden Tour in May

Time for a little garden tour. Things are starting to grow and I am excited for this growing season!
First of all, look at these boys! I have three little roosters and it is about time to find them a home!
 Here is the garden at the back of the yard. To the left in the back is the garden bed with garlic, onions, and potatoes. In the raise bed in the foreground is broccoli. The square raised bed beside that has strawberries and the raised bed to the left of that has quinoa. Behind all of that is my wheat field.
 Purple Peacock Broccoli.
 Garlic. My first time growing it.
 Quinoa. Not very big yet, but getting there. When it is bigger, I'll thin it out.
 Strawberries.
 The quinoa bed again.
 Look at my wheat! It is growing well.
 My new blueberry bush.
 All my plants in the cold frame. Tomatoes, zucchini, pumpkins, nasturtiums.
 The chicken coop garden.
 Peas in the coop garden.
 Kale coming up.
 This willow support will have a tomato inside and peas growing up the back.
 Pansies :)
 I love the little flower box on the side of the coop.
And that is it for now. Here's a list of the edibles that we will be growing in the backyard this year:

Vegetables
zucchini
pumpkins
broccoli
carrots
peas
lettuce
kale
potatoes
onions
garlic
tomatoes

Fruit
strawberries
blueberries
raspberries
blackberries
apples
cherries
rhubarb

Herbs
lavender
oregano
mint
lemon balm
chamomile
dill

Grains
wheat
quinoa

Edible Flowers
sunflowers
nasturtiums
breadseed poppies
calendula
pansies
dandelions :)

Protein
eggs :)

And let's hope at least some of those work out! It is a pretty substantial list when you look at it all laid out like that. I hope I didn't forget anything.

3 comments:

  1. That's an impressive list of food. Your are almost self sustainable. What are your plans for the quinoa and wheat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, we would be more self-sustainable if we grew things in bigger amounts! I plan to thresh the wheat and grind it to flour and eat the quinoa grains like rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive ! I'm not that good but I have quite a few as well. I love that bicycle planter!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...