Friday, May 17, 2013

Hummingbird Swarms!



The Hummingbirds have been swarming our feeder in the evenings, draining the nectar each day. Until I moved here, I have never seen so many hummingbirds in one spot. Watch near the end of the video on the right side, as one hummingbird, desperate for a spot at the feeder, briefly lands on the back of another already feeding.
Since I took this video, the activity at the feeder has gone down because one male has claimed it as his own and lurks about, chasing off any other hummingbirds who come for a drink. He sits on the handle of a lantern on our porch and just waits, guarding his food.

5 comments:

  1. OH that's very exciting! Here we seem to only have two at a time and sometimes they get into a little territorial fight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen so many together like that! There is never more than 1 at a time at any of my feeders. And we have to place our three feeders apart far enough so that they can't see two feeders from one spot otherwise the feisty guy claims both, and attacks whoever stops by for a drink. I wish they could share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of hummingbirds do you get there? I find the Rufous hummingbirds to be super aggressive and territorial!

      Delete
    2. We have Anna's year-round, and just about this time of year we start to see the Rufous. I think the Anna's are more territorial than the Rufous at our place; maybe because they guard their feeders all year, only for these seasonal tourists to show up and steal their food!

      Delete
    3. Oh, I just looked them up! They are really pretty! I don't think we get them here.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...