Friday, July 5, 2013

July in the Garden

I know, I know, another garden post! I'm sorry, but it does take up most of my spare time these days. Last night I harvested some greens (and purples and reds) for a delicious salad.
 Home grown salad for dinner with fish cooked in home grown herbs. These kinds of things make me smile from ear to ear.
 We FINALLY got a weed whacker so my garden is looking a bit more like a garden, and less like a tangle lost in chest high grass.


 My wheat is about waist high now!
 Isn't it beautiful? This is the Chinook wheat:
 And this is the Blue Tinge Ethiopian Wheat:
My little chickens (almost 7 weeks old) are now mixed in with the bigger chickens (13 weeks old). It was a very peaceful transition. The big ones are not really picking on the little ones, which is unusual. I think having them live side by side but separated by wire helped them get used to each other. The little ones also slept all night in the big coop with the big girls last night. Sleep Over! I still have no idea which of the little chicks are roosters and which are hens. I think I am going to have to wait until they are 12 weeks old and grow saddle feathers (if they are boys) before I'll be able to tell. Right now I have 6 chickens total and I only want to keep four.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kris, I've been away for a while, came back and the weeds had practically taken over the garden. No more going away in June! Enjoyed catching up on all your pics and happy birthday Kesten, he's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I agree, It is so hard to leave the garden!

      Delete
  2. I had that as well, I was away for several days last week and the husband didn't quite water the way I had hoped. Oh well I guess that's all part of it.
    Good luck with the chickies - may you have at least 4 females!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...