Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Preserving the Bounty

These days have been all about harvesting and preserving food that I have in excess. Herbs always seem to be abounding in the garden and I wanted to try a few methods of preserving this year, other than drying. I'm sure many of you have seen this method of freezing herbs in olive oil before, but I thought I would give it a go this year. I found nice clear instructions here. 

First off, I picked some fresh oregano from my garden and chopped it up.  
 Next I filled an ice cube tray with the oregano, about 2/3 full.
 I covered them with extra virgin olive oil.
 I covered the tray and popped it in the freezer overnight.
 Voila! Ready to use cubes of herbal yumminess! When I need to fry up some meat or onions, I can just pop in one of these cubes to start it off.
 I put them in a freezer bag labeled with the type of herb and oil and the date and popped them back in the freezer.
I'm going to dry some herbs next, and maybe I'll look into other preservation methods.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great idea Kris, can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...