Monday, August 5, 2013

Potato Harvest

Yesterday, I delivered all my roosters to a new home. They had to go in a hurry, because the two mornings before we were awoken by crowing at 6am. Not good. Yes, out of the last batch of chicks I hatched, 3 out of 4 were roosters! I don't like those odds at all. It is a good thing I don't buy lottery tickets. In total, 6 out of 9 chicks I hatched this year were roosters. Which has left me with just 3 hens when I wanted 4. But that's ok, because it means I can hatch some more next year to fill the quota.
Now this little black hen is all by her lonesome after her brothers left. The older two hens don't hang out with her and I feel bad for the little one. She is so little too, compared to how big her brothers were.
 She likes to hang out in the tree, while the other two poke around below. I need to think up a name for this little one. Any suggestions?
 This morning I finally got some weeding done in the back garden. It had been awhile! The potatoes were done, so I harvested them. Potatoes have to be my favourite to harvest. What excitement! It is like digging for buried treasure! You never know how many you'll get and where they are. Oooooh, how fun!
 I got a decent amount this year. Not tons, but it'll do! The garlic, onions, and wheat are nearly ready as well.
 I also found this grubby spud hanging out in the garden. What a cutie!
 He decided to help me out by throwing all of the potatoes out of the wheelbarrow. What a goofball!
It is a long weekend here, so we have been enjoying our time together as a family, with a trip to the Historic Park for the annual Salmon Cook-Off, and just hanging around the house, doing nothing. A new raised bed has been built (more garden space for next year!) and a new book read ("Call the Midwife". I loved it!). What have you been up to this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...