Thursday, August 22, 2013

Threshing and Winnowing

Last night I decided to thresh and winnow a quarter of my wheat (the Blue Tinge Ethiopian Wheat). There are lots of methods for threshing small amounts like this, but last night I decided to stomp on the wheat on a sheet. Real technical. haha. It was fun and it would be a good stress reliever. 
Sorry about the video quality, it was getting dark out.
 You can see the wheat berries released from the chaff.
 Of course Boos had to supervise what was going on and attack any rogue straw.
 Next came winnowing. I planned to pour the wheat back and forth between bowls in front of a fan over a sheet. I was always skeptical of how this would work. I was worried that the fan would blow the wheat berries away too. But, I guess people have been using this method since about the beginning of time and they really do know what they are talking about.
 Look at all the itchy, sticky chaff! I don't know if I'll ever get it off of that sheet. It sticks like burrs.
 And here are the wheat the berries from a quarter of the field! Not a whole lot there, but I'm still pleased. If I end up with enough flour to make one loaf of bread, I'll be impressed.



1 comment:

  1. wow, very impressive. I hope you get that loaf of bread!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...