Saturday, September 7, 2013

Last Dregs of Summer

I know, I know! I've been away from the blog for awhile! But I have a good excuse. I have been gone the last two weeks, visiting family and friends and spending very little time on computers. But now that I am back, I will fill you in on my holiday.

For the first week, we went to the beautiful town on Nakusp to visit my sister Jaimie and her family. Her son, Parker is just about 6 months older than my boy and it was so much fun to see them together! Here is Parker, feeding Kesten breakfast. He took good care of him. We picked wild blackberries and the boys loved having them for breakfast!
 While I was in Nakusp, my sister and I pursued many culinary endeavours. First it was plum jam from plums in her garden, then tomato sauce from her very own tomatoes.
 We also harvested her spuds, one of my favourite gardening activities.
 Next we experimented by making sauerkraut. What fun that was! We used her very own home-grown cabbage and carrots too!




The Sauerkraut is happily fermenting away. I can hardly wait to try it!
 Next a stop in Kamloops for my really good friends' wedding. I was honoured to be a bridesmaid on their big day. What fun their wedding was! I really miss living close to them!

And the last stop of our trip was West Kelowna to have a family reunion. I got to meet my older sister's new baby and she got to meet Kesten for the first time. Three sisters and we each had a baby boy. Gotta love the symmetry of that!


 What a cutie that little Wyatt is! After my sisters left, we spent some time visiting friends and mountain biking and making nectarine jam. It was such a nice holiday and so nice to get back home too.
Waiting for me at home were a whole bunch of ripe tomatoes. I would have had even more too, but the slugs are getting at them. I am going to make a small batch of pasta sauce with these, so I can eat it with the pasta that I make from scratch with my own wheat and eggs. It will be a meal totally from scratch! Muahahaha!
Annnnndddddd....Drumroll please.... Today I found the first egg in the chicken coop. Laid by one of the Wyandottes! It is a classic first egg too- teeny tiny, soft-ish shell, and many weird cracks. They'll get bigger and better as the chicken gets more experience laying.


Look at this size comparison. On the right is a typical chicken egg from the grocery store. On the left is the teeny egg from my pullet. Ha!
Hopefully I am back in business with eggs again! It has been awhile! (And don't those sunflowers look pretty? I love them!)
So that is that! It is still hot here, in the twenties, and I can't really believe that Summer is over and the kids are back in school. Where did time go?

3 comments:

  1. Whoa! what a busy two weeks - you really got around the province! Sounds like a wonderful time.

    And you and your sister are so cute together - and you both are so enterprising! Very impressive.

    Congratulations on your happy little layers! Good little birdies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks. We love to try out new things together. I didn't even share the cool craft we did! Maybe in another post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...