Wednesday, September 11, 2013

This is a post about food...

Oh food, how I love thee! I have been busy this past August and September trying to make the most of all the food that is growing in abundance around me. Jams, jellies, canning, and freezing have been taking up a lot of my time. But along with all the preserving has come some nibbling (read: gobbling) and taste testing of all those preserves. I have especially been enjoying the wide selection of jam that I stockpiled this year. Since it is hard to choose just one flavour, I had wild raspberry and nectarine jam on my farmer's market bread this morning.


The next bounty I am working on preserving is my tomatoes. I have never had such an abundance of tomatoes since moving here! They are doing wonderfully! So right now I am making a pasta sauce with them to freeze and eat with my homemade pasta (once I get around to grinding my flour). Both my older chickens are laying now, so I will have enough eggs to make pasta when the time comes.
 Home grown garlic, onions, oregano, and thyme also went in the sauce.
 The only thing not from my garden is the salt I added.
 It is still bubbling away, thickening up. I can hardly wait to eat my meal entirely from scratch!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...