Saturday, September 14, 2013

This Party Called Summer is Almost Over

One weekend left! One more glorious weekend of hot weather and then Autumn temperatures will be here with a vengeance. We've been trying to make the most of this bonus Summer. Bike rides, beaches, and backyard playing have been the activities of the week. And while out on those bike rides, I have noticed the leaves turning colour. We also spotted a bear, another sign that Autumn in here.
 After the bear sighting, we decided to bring in the apple harvest. We don't want to draw them into our neighbourhood! So after supper last night, all 3 of us headed into the yard to begin the harvest.







Kesten began by helping, pulling apples off and throwing them into the box. This slowly disintegrated and soon he we throwing all the apples out of the box. By the time we got out the second box for apples, he climbed right in for easier access and proceeded to toss the apples out as fast as we could put them in! But after all that, we managed to get all the apples picked. Soon we will have apple butter, apple pies, and apple juice (but I might just wait until the weather cools down first).

4 comments:

  1. Wow - what a successful harvest. i don't have an apple tree anymore but I have a very good pear tree. Too bad only the dog and I eat the pears.
    I know what you mean about the bears - that's why I don't have a composter any more (or very limited as it's only some grass clippings) last year the bear knocked it over. I don't want him in my yard again as wel.

    Enjoy all that yummy apple sauce and jam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crockpot Apple Butter is easy, splits the work into 2 days and keeps down the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wondering what to do with all our apples! I had never heard of apple butter but now have a batch brewing in my slow cooker. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...