Saturday, January 25, 2014

FLOUR!

I did it! I have flour made from 100% home grown wheat! On Thursday, Kesten and I headed out to our friends' house to grind my Blue Tinge Ethiopian Wheat down into flour (I still have to finish threshing and winnowing the Chinook Wheat). They have a juicer that has a grain mill attachment. 
 We had to pass the wheat berries through the grinder several times, adjusting it to grind the flour finer and finer through each passing.

 Finally it was finely ground and now it is ready to use! I plan on making some pasta from scratch with this batch (it isn't good bread flour) and eating it with the homemade, garden grown pasta sauce I made earlier in fall. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out. I'm almost scared to use it!

6 comments:

  1. Cool! Another item to check off your list!! How are you feeling these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly good, but I think I am wearing myself down with all my projects! I have this creative burst all of a sudden and there is so much I want to get done!

      Delete
  2. It looks lovely! Congratulations for your successful gardening, I'm sure your pasta will taste absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I just have to work up the motivation to actually make it. Last time I made pasta from scratch, it felt like a marathon.

      Delete
  3. This looks awesome Kris! Was it hard to grow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all! like growing grass! I don't even think I weeded much. The real work is in threshing and winnowing, but even that isn't too hard.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...