Wednesday, January 22, 2014

In Search of Trumpeter Swans

Yesterday after nap we headed down to the river to see if we could spy any Trumpeter Swans. Fort St. James is the most Northern location where they overwinter as our river doesn't freeze over. Usually when we have gone to the river, we see at least a few of them, but we had no luck yesterday. With our mild winter temperatures, the river is more open than usual, so the swans are more spread out. When we went last week, we saw a group of 8 or 9. Oh well, we'll have to keep searching.

 All was not lost for Kesten, though. He had so much fun watching the cars over the bridge that I had a hard time convincing him it was time to go home.

 With all 3 chickens laying eggs now, we wanted to try some different egg recipes. Frittatas, crustless quiche, and now creme brulee have all made an appearance in our kitchen. I've never had creme brulee before I made it yesterday. It was pretty rich. I'm not sure I'm a big fan or not. Next up is pavlova (to use the egg whites left over from the creme brulee).
 Also, I've made a new knitting pattern for a little newborn acorn hat. I kinda want to wait to post the pattern until I have a little newborn to model it on. We'll see.
And that's it for now! Freezing rain and fog are making for a yucky kind of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...