Thursday, February 13, 2014

Threshing

Finally! I have finally finished threshing all my wheat! My "stuff to do before baby #2" list was getting to be quite daunting and with only 3 months left, it was time to cross something off. While my son napped, I got the rest of my Chinook wheat and sat outside in the sun and clipped all the grain heads off into a bucket. This is the most time-consuming part, probably took 45min. Next, I took a dowel and used it to pound the grain heads until they released the wheat berries. This probably only took 15min. Of all the three threshing methods I have tried so far, this was the fastest and most efficient. Maybe even the most fun. I took some pictures inside to try and show you my method. It was so nice to spend some time outside, now that the temperature hovers around 0c. No more being cooped up inside!

Now, if I am really on the ball, I might winnow the grain tonight. Keep the momentum going, right?

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome you grew and are processing your own wheat! Very inspiring....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...