Sunday, May 4, 2014

So This Is May

May, my favourite month in this village, has now arrived. And it began so promising! May the first was a hot day, a day for ice cream, shorts, kiddie pool, and outdoor fun. And then it got really cold for a couple of days, and now we are back to some warmer weather. I'm trying to make the most of it, while waiting for this baby to make an appearance. Any day now... Since I can no longer hike, I've been going for drives now and then and have been spotting quite a bit of wildlife. Like this osprey by the lake:
 Or these deer down Stones Bay road:

 And this guy at our feeder...Oh wait. That's the little rufous hummingbird I needle felted for Kesten. He's pretty keen on spotting hummers these days, but  doesn't like it when they fly too close to him.
 But this one is a nice, not-scary alternative that Kesten likes to cuddle and cart around.
I've had a small burst of productivity yesterday and today, cleaning the basement, getting things ready for my mom, laundry, and gardening. I weeded the chicken coop garden, hauled in some dirt, and planted my seeds. I don't expect a lot of gardening will get done this year, and definitely not a lot of weeding, but at least I've got one bed sewn.

And this little guy is more and more fun every day! He's got a real sense of humour and tries to make me laugh all the time with the funny faces that he makes. He's getting to be so grown up and I don't know where the time has gone!

 The hummingbirds are definitely out in full force and are very entertaining to watch.  We have one male rufous that has claimed our feeder for his own and guards it from several different perches, ready to chase off any invading hummer.
 I made a short video of this guy protecting his territory. He's a feisty one!
Enjoy your May days.

1 comment:

  1. Great photos! Love the needle felted hummingbird - well done. I am jealous of all your hummer activity. No matter what I do they seem to like my neighbour's better. I'm assuming it's just habit, they've been going there longer...Hope you had a wonderful mother's day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...