Saturday, October 25, 2014

October October

October! Such a beautiful month! I cannot believe that it is almost over. We've had lovely weather and still no snow (although it is in the forecast). We've been on lots of forest walks to cast animal tracks in the mud this month.
And we also made the 12 hour drive to Calgary to celebrate Thanksgiving with our family.
They live on a rural property and have a beaver pond there. I got to take a couple of paddles in a canoe on the pond and watched all the muskrats busy in the water.
Back at home the leaves were really starting to drop, so we went to the park and raked up a big pile and had lots of fun jumping in it.



We've also spent some time exploring the beach in autumn, searching for freshwater mussel shells and pretty rocks.



I've been running, pushing my babies along in our chariot, rain or shine (they stay nice and cozy under their rain cover). One morning there was a torrential downpour, but we got to see a lot of wildlife on our run, including this buck.
And the other morning we had a visit in our yard by this doe and her three fawns. It is always special to see wildlife up close.* (Except when it's scary!)
The Trumpeter swans are back! I love these magical winter birds. Their return always makes me so happy.
My little girl is growing at an astonishing rate and will be 6 months old in November! I swear she was just a newborn yesterday!
*Last night, I was going for a run on the "loop." I always bring bear spray with me at night, because you never know. Almost the whole section of the loop is illuminated by street lights, except for about a 1/4km near the marina. So I was nearing the end of my run and was approaching the dark area. The road is flanked by forest. I thought I heard a noise, so I pulled off my head band for a better listen. Crash, snap, rustle. Yikes! Something big was in the bushes right beside the road. I had my bear spray out of the holster and the safety off in 2 seconds flat (that included pulling off my mitten). I considered running back towards where the houses were, but I remembered they were all dark and I would have to go the loooong way home, past more forest. So I yelled "HEY! HEY!" really loud a few times and scared the big animal back into the bush. Then I very bravely continued to walk along the road, bear spray pointed at the bush, legs jello. I didn't want to run and have the beast think it should chase me. So I don't know if it was a bear, or a moose, or a deer, but either way, it scared me enough to vow never to run the loop at night again.
A little further down the road I could see splashing in the lake and I could see a doe and two fawns, playing in the shallows. When they saw me, they crossed the road and headed back into the forest, but stopped first to stare at me for awhile. And then I ran into another doe with three fawns! It was quite the night. All in all, I was glad to get home.

Hallowe'en is next week and I am very excited! One of my favourite holidays!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures as always Kris..I'm glad you're not running at night any more, too scary!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...