Thursday, January 1, 2015

Freezing Rain and a Red Fox

This morning I headed out on the trail to set up my new wildlife camera for a second time. The temperature felt warm, despite the thermometer reading -10c. It's all about perspective. Having been going out in -25c for the last couple of mornings made -10c feel mild. It started to rain as I left the house. The rain drops froze and crackled as they hit tree branches and my coat. The whole forest sounded like a certain breakfast cereal, snapping, crackling, and popping! I walked along the trail for awhile before ducking through the trees and scrambling down a steep hill to the creek. I fumbled around, setting up the camera on a tree, checking the range, and then locking the camera in place. I headed back down the trail towards home, the whole process having taken nearly 2 hours. As I got to the end of the trail, I was startled to see a red fox, just a few metres from me down a small hill. I was surprised because I wasn't being quiet in the least. My snow pants make quite a racket when I walk and the snow was loudly crunching under my feet. I spotted the fox before she spotted me. What a beautiful sight! I have never seen a red fox in the winter before. Her fur was luxuriously full and lustrous. The contrast of the red coat with dark stockings against the white snow was striking. The fox glanced up to see me as I turned on my camera and then she trotted into the brush. She wasn't in a big hurry, but she wasn't going to stick around either. I attempted to take a few pictures, but was disappointed when I found later at home that I hadn't captured her in any of them. Winter can seem so devoid of colour. Seeing such a bright flash of red in a largely black and white world was very memorable.






This is the very first footage I caught with the wildlife camera I got for Christmas! A coyote.
Hopefully in another couple of weeks I'll have some new images from my camera to share!

5 comments:

  1. I've been enjoying your posts for some time. Just thought I would let you know. I like that you are so creative and do so many fun things with your children. I no longer have children at home and they are scattered across the US and UK, so I don't get to see my grandchildren often. But we are in contact with Facebook and their parents are creative and do much the same things that you do. I am a prolific knitter and came to your blog by a comment on another blog. I live in Nome, Alaska, so know what cold weather is like. Hoping your New Year is a blessed one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Patt! It must be hard to be far from family. We are also quite a ways from both our families and it can be really hard sometimes.
      I am currently reading a book that takes place in Nome- "No Place Like Nome." It's fantastic so far, I don't know if you've ever read it.
      I hope you also have a wonderful New Year!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I have a question for you, Patt. Is the ocean around Nome considered to be the Arctic, or North Pacific?

      Delete
  2. Love the video! That's awesome. You always write such wonderful posts! I know what you mean about temperature perspective. A while back we had -5 and I was so cold, then we were at +8, and now we're back to freezing and it doesn't seem so bad, I even went outside with the dog this morning in my tank top (only a few minutes but still...I won't have been able to do that 2 months ago). How wonderful to have been able to see the fox like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited to see what I get next weekend! It is -20ish here again, which is starting to feel less and less cold. We've been hitting a lot of cold temperatures this winter, and we've also had two thaws! Weird weather!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...