Sunday, February 22, 2015

Spring in February?

I just don't know what to think! It's been hot and thawing for a few weeks now and it doesn't look like it is going to let up anytime soon. I love winter, but I also love spring. I'm torn. Oh well, can't control the weather, might as well embrace it. I am enjoying this sunshine. It has been a cloudier than usual winter and this sunshine just hits the spot.

This little girl turned 9 months old just over a week ago. My husband says in three more months she won't be a baby anymore. Sniffle. That's not true! She'll always be my baby.
 I sewed this little dress for her in 12-18 month size, but my needle was in the wrong spot on my sewing machine. It took in more of a seam allowance than intended, so it fits her now. Oh well. Live and learn.

 Valentine's Day was very special for my little Kesten. He had seen these balloons in the grocery store the day before and begged me for one. I went back later that night, after he was asleep, and got them each balloon. Was he ever excited when he woke up to find it! Oh, and the chocolate :)
And Cedar has been inseparable from her balloon since we first gave it to her. It follows her around at meal times, and play times, and snuggle times.
 Out in the woods, I think I found a flying squirrel tree. Waaaaay up, there are four hollowed out holes in the tree. I bet there are some flying squirrels in there, snuggled up and sleeping away the daylight hours.



 My little goofy girl.
 Look what she can do now!!
 And my silly boy!
 He said that this was his moustache.
 Kesten's new favourite game is "baby otter." In the bathtub, he swims on his tummy and catches "fish" (foam alphabet letters) with his mouth. In the snow, he rolls around and slides on his tummy.
 And on Friday, he decided he finally didn't need anyone to push him on the ice and skated up and down the rink several times.
 Yesterday we made our first trip into Prince George in about 5 months. It's even harder to get our massive shopping list accomplished with two kids to load in and out of carseats, but we managed in good time yesterday. Hopefully it will be several months before we have to do it again!
 And today in the bush, I stumbled upon 3 hummingbird nests! I have been searching for them for a couple of years without luck. They are so well camouflaged, I must have walked by these nests 4 or 5 times before I noticed them. I love that they are held together with spider webs and decorated with lichen.
 Since hummingbirds are pretty territorial, I think that these nests might  be made by the same bird, from different years. From what I have heard, Rufous Hummingbirds don't often re-use their nests because they get so stretched out as the babies grow. When they are first built, the nests are just big enough to fit the tiny eggs inside.
 I wonder if there will be a nesting hummingbird here this spring?
Two weeks ago I got my first video of a lynx passing by my game camera! Lynx season is just starting up, so I'm hoping to capture more videos before March is done!
And here is another marten, just passing by!

4 comments:

  1. I love the dress! It's adorable, and it's too bad it won't fit her soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I have plans to sew more...maybe a dandelion print dress for her birthday.

      Delete
  2. You have the cutest kids!!! And how your found that teensy nest, I have no idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I found the nest because I almost walked into it with my head! haha

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...