Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Broody Update

As of the afternoon of March 2nd, Peabody, the little black hen, is sitting on 12 large Red Sussex eggs. My friends dropped off the eggs and I numbered them with pencil and popped them into the coop. Peabody took that time to hop off the plastic eggs she had been incubating and go and get a drink and a bite to eat. I checked back soon afterwards and she was fluffed out on top of her dozen eggs, looking very pleased with herself.
 Hopefully the pencil markings will help me keep track of which eggs are the fertilized ones and which ones came from Eggwina, as Peabody will likely attempt to steal those eggs for incubation too.

It looks like Eggwina is keeping her company. Tonight is supposed to get really cold, close to -20c, but from what I've been told, the eggs should weather through it ok. In ten days I will attempt to candle the eggs to see what is growing and what isn't and hopefully again at 17 days. It will be interesting to see what comes of this!

1 comment:

  1. That was a pretty cold night, I guess they just huddle under their lamp?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...