Saturday, November 5, 2016

My Yarn is Dyed

So, a couple of weeks back, I was able to dye all my yarn for knitting up the sweater I have dreamed about for over a year. I harvested all the mushrooms for the dye from right here in Fort St. James.

These mushrooms are Cortinarius smithii, which I used to make the pink and orange colours.
 This is Phaeolus schweinitzii, which I used to make the yellow and green.
 This is Hapalopilus nidulans, that sought after fungus that made the purple.
And these two photos are of Hydnellum aurantiacum (or a similar species) used to make the bluey-green-grey colours.

 The colour that the Hydnellum makes!
Dried out Cortinarius smithii, ready to make dye.
 Look at the colour coming out, once water and heat is added!

 Look at all my pretty colours!
I am knitting the main body of my sweater in green, and the yoke in all the other colours. I am using Aftur for the basic pattern, but I am changing the yoke design to make my own pattern in it. I've also had to adjust the number of stitches I cast on, because I am such a loose knitter, I can't get the gauge right. You can read about my project notes here. I am already done knitting the main body to the armpits, now I have to knit the sleeves before I can get on to the fun part of knitting the colourful yoke. It is taking shape!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful colors. I'm off to see your notes on the sweater next.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...